Back to School Safety
August 29, 2017
School days bring congestion: Yellow school buses are picking up their charges, kids on bikes are hurrying to get to school before the bell rings, harried parents are trying to drop their kids off before work.
It’s never more important for drivers to slow down and pay attention than when kids are present – especially before and after school. There are plenty of things to keep in mind, but here are a few
- Remind your kids to look both ways before crossing the street
- Never drive around a stopped bus with the “Stop Sign” Out
- When entering a school zone, yield to pedestrians in cross walks
- Drive slow in parking lots when dropping off your kids
- Don’t drop your kids off across the street from school
- Provide space between yourself and cyclists you share the road with
- Remember that children are in a hurry, distracted, and unpredictable. Remind them to be cautious, but also be aware they may not be paying attention.
Let’s hope everyone has a great school year. Stay safe!
To see some more safety tips, check out this Back to School Safety Tips for Drivers!