Top 5 Summer Activities
June 20, 2017
Summer is officially here! Summer is one of the best times of the year, because the weather is almost always nice and there are so many great activities to do in the UP! Here are my top 5 favorite things to do during a UP summer:
- Swim – Not many places are nearly as lucky as we are, as we have a plethora of fresh water easily at our disposal here in the UP. While the lake can take a little while to warm up, there is nothing I enjoy more than spending some time down at the beach, throwing a frisbee around with some friends, and then cooling off in the beautiful UP water. That’s one of the many things I love about the UP.
- Watch the Sunset – During a warm, UP summer night, it can be awesome to just go for a walk on the beach, or hike up one of our small mountains, and get a beautiful view of the sunset. It can be one of the most breathtaking sights, and it is great exercise as well. For those that aren’t a big fan of the physical activity, it can be a great way to just take your mind off the fact that you are walking/hiking.
- Waterfalls – There are so many waterfalls here in the UP, and it’s absolutely fantastic. Waterfalls are super cool and especially in the early summer, the water is flowing very nicely. It’s a great time to head out and take advantage of some of the splendor and beauty of the UP, and most of the time, you have to hike a little bit to get to a waterfall, which makes for some great exercise.
- Trails – The UP has bountiful bike and walking trails, most of them through woods or on the shores of the lake. For those who enjoy biking, going for a run, or just taking a leisure walk, these trails definitely should be taken advantage of. It’s easy to get lost in the scenery of these trails, and before you know it, you’ve been enjoying nature for a few hours.
- Camping/Backpacking – I love to go on a backpacking trip where you have to camp out for a couple nights or so. It’s great for exercise and another way to explore the beautiful UP. Also, a lot of times the places you camp are out of range of cell phone service, and other technology, which is a nice chance to get away from all the technology and really appreciate the place we live.
These are my favorite things to do during a UP summer. Hope that you can put these to use over the next few months, and really make use of the beautiful place we all live!